* NOTE: This is OUTDATED and doesn't include my current position at Masspro.org *
Software Engineer – 21 years professional experience
developing commercial software products (Now learning Groovy/Ratpack and Grails 2):
| * Web-based technologies – 15 years
designing and developing lead market commercial software.
| * Excellent technical and analytical skills.
| * Skilled at mentoring and developing engineers.
| * Embraces the opportunity to learn and utilize
new technologies and development techniques.
||Java EE, JBoss, Tomcat, Lucene, Solr, Velocity, JUnit, Quartz, JNI.
||MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle.
||Eclipse, Ant, Maven, version control (Subversion, AccuRev, VSS), MS Visual Studio 5/6.
||Mac OS X, Windows, Linux (Ubuntu), UNIX, DOS.
||Scrum, Agile, Test Driven Development (TDD).
|2010 - October 2012
||Software Developer – US Digital Operations, Polopoly CMS product
* Implement modules for collecting and presenting user-generated digital content (articles,
images, audio, videos, documents). This consits of creating widgets, input templates
and output templates for the Polopoly CMS framework.
* Develop migration tools for moving data from legacy CMS systems to Polopoly CMS,
including migrating Wordpress Blog content
* Develop and maintained RSS feed and NewsML components.
* Develop mobile and legacy URL redirection Servlet filters for Polopoly CMS.
* Develop and maintain a Java-based trashcan application to permanently delete
content from a customized Polopoly CMS installation.
* Implement custom indexing enhancements for Lucene and Solr-driven publishing
* Develop and enhance Perl-based migration scripts and NITF feed generation.
* Work with customers to address issues, implement bug fixes and guide customers‘
developers and maintenance staff.
* Core member of the US Digital Operations development team which works with various
top media-related companies to customize and implement enterprise Polopoly CMS
platform, including such clients as the Akron Beacon Journal, GoRadio.com, Newsday,
the Scranton Times Tribune and Conde Nast
|1997 - 2009
|| Java Developer
2003 – 2009
* Developed and maintained enterprise web-based software
* Expert developing Java server-side business objects and XML-based API
* Worked closely with product owners, interaction designers,
database designers, QA
engineers and other developers to ensure
on-schedule delivery of high quality software.
* Contributed to overall quality of Workforce Central code base
by investigating automated
test and build failures; addressed any
deficiencies discovered during development cycle.
* Mentored engineers to become proficient using the Kronos
business object frameworks,
XML-based API framework, persistence layer
framework and testing frameworks.
* Created multi-threaded services to manage
application-critical background processes.
* Mentored developers on the design and implementation of the
job scheduling component.
This included describing the front-end design,
business logic and persistence layer.
* Investigated, designed and coded solutions to deficiencies
discovered in Quartz port of
the job scheduling engine, especially in the area
of DST transitions.
* Developed port of fat-client configuration to Java-based
|| JNI Java/C/C++
Developer 1998 – 2003
* Developed and maintained web-based job scheduling component
Microsoft Task Scheduler engine; later using the
Quartz Enterprise Job Scheduler.
* Developed a Web Services framework to provide customers with
a diagnostics toolkit.
* Investigated JMS as a possible enhancement to existing
* Designed and developed web-based UI job scheduling prototype
using JSPs and
* Investigated Java-based solutions to replace Microsoft Task
Scheduler as the job
scheduling engine. Solutions included commercial
products, roll-your-own approaches,
* Designed, developed & maintained Registry utility written
in Visual C++ using MFC.
* Designed and developed authentication DLL prototype using
Microsoft LDAP libraries.
* Developed and maintained APIs for non-Java clients to
interface with Java-based
* Generated User’s Guide documentation detailing API
installation, configuration and
* Designed and developed dialog-based testing tool for API
Framework utilizing MFC.
* Trained new hire on Java-based services APIs for future
development and maintenance.
|1992 - 1997
||Client Server Software, Incorporated
* Maintained the line of PC based Hospital Cost Reporting
software products written in C.
* Modified software using government specs and client requests
within strict timeframes.
* Developed new software products and utilities in C.
* Provided full and timely technical support for the Cost
Reporting software product line.
* Ported existing C source code to/from various compilers.
* Performed self-tests on new and modified products before
submitting to quality assurance.
|EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
Computer Learning Center, Somerville, MA – Certificate, C/UNIX
St. Joseph's University, Phila., PA – 2 semesters in Computer
Sciences Masters Program, 1990.
West Chester University, West Chester, PA – BA, Psychology,
Attended “No Fluff Just Stuff” symposiums covering the latest
technologies, including Spring, Hibernate, Groovy, Grails, Ruby
and Rails, 2006, 2007.
IBM, Waltham, MA – Developing Network Computing Solutions using
Java Technologies, 1999.
Wave Technologies, Burlington, MA – C++ for C Programmers,
Northeastern University, Burlington, MA – Introduction to Java
Northeastern University, Burlington, MA – Windows Programming
using Windows 95, 1997.
Member of the New England Java User's Group (NEJUG)
Member of the Society of American Magicians for 22 years.