* Currently Working at Harvard University *
Software Engineer – 20+ years professional experience
developing commercial software products (Now learning Spring Boot / Spring MVC and Bootstrap 3.x):
| * Web-based technologies – 12+ years
designing and developing lead market commercial software.
| * Excellent technical and analytical skills.
| * Embraces the opportunity to learn and utilize
new technologies and development techniques.
| * Skilled at mentoring and developing engineers.
| * Able to work effectively in both small and large
||Java EE, JBoss, Tomcat, Hibernate, Lucene, Solr, Velocity, JUnit, Quartz, JNI.
||Oracle, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server.
||Eclipse, NetBeans, Ant, Maven, version control (Subversion, AccuRev, VSS).
||Windows, Linux (Ubuntu, SUSE), Mac OS X, UNIX, DOS.
||Scrum, Agile, Test Driven Development (TDD).
|January 2013 - September 2014
Java EE, Hibernate 3.x, JDBC, XML, JSON, NetBeans, Ant, Oracle, MySQL, Windows,
Linux, JBoss, Tomcat, Web Services/Servlet, Applet, EJB 3.0, JAXB, Subversion,
Some Groovy (Groovy/Grails Tool Suite, Gradle).
* Implement and maintain software modules and applications used for collecting,
scoring and reporting medical data, both for internal and external clients.
These modules are written in Java and exposed as RESTful web services.
* Maintain client-side encrypted data upload modules, utilizing the Bouncy Castle
Cryptography APIs. Also responsible for updating signed certificates, and
re-signing Java JARS as needed.
* Designed, developed and continue to maintain a Groovy-based Swing desktop Testing
application using XML and XMLUnit to verify the integrity of data scoring web service
* Test revised web-based applications and verify data integrity and scoring outcomes.
* Update and install custom web-based application as new versions and applications are
* Analyze user requirements to design applications or modify existing applications.
* Document and review specifications with customers to confirm that customers needs are
|2010 - October 2012
||Software Developer – US Digital Operations, Polopoly CMS product
Linux/Unix, Mac OS X, JBoss, Tomcat, Lucene, Solr, Velocity, Perl, Agile (Scrum),
Polopoly CMS Platform.
* Implement modules for collecting and presenting user-generated digital content (articles,
images, audio, videos, documents). This consits of creating widgets, input templates
and output templates for the Polopoly CMS framework.
* Develop migration tools for moving data from legacy CMS systems to Polopoly CMS,
including migrating Wordpress Blog content.
* Develop and maintained RSS feed and NewsML components.
* Develop mobile and legacy URL redirection Servlet filters for Polopoly CMS.
* Develop and maintain a Java-based trashcan application to permanently delete
content from a customized Polopoly CMS installation.
* Implement custom indexing enhancements for Lucene and Solr-driven publishing
* Develop and enhance Perl-based migration scripts and NITF feed generation.
* Work with customers to address issues, implement bug fixes and guide customers‘
developers and maintenance staff.
* Core member of the US Digital Operations development team which works with various
top media-related companies to customize and implement enterprise Polopoly CMS
platform, including such clients as the Akron Beacon Journal, GoRadio.com, Newsday,
the Scranton Times Tribune and Conde Nast.
|1997 - 2009
Java, J2EE (JEE), C++/MFC, C, Windows, Unix, DOS, MS SQL, Oracle SQL, JDBC
Java Developer 2003 – 2009
* Developed and maintained enterprise web-based software applications.
* Expert developing Java server-side business objects and XML-based API
* Worked closely with product owners, interaction designers,
database designers, QA
engineers and other developers to ensure
on-schedule delivery of high quality software.
* Contributed to overall quality of Workforce Central code base
by investigating automated
test and build failures; addressed any
deficiencies discovered during development cycle.
* Mentored engineers to become proficient using the Kronos
business object frameworks,
XML-based API framework, persistence layer
framework and testing frameworks.
* Created multi-threaded services to manage
application-critical background processes.
* Mentored developers on the design and implementation of the
job scheduling component.
This included describing the front-end design,
business logic and persistence layer.
* Investigated, designed and coded solutions to deficiencies
discovered in Quartz port of
the job scheduling engine, especially in the area
of DST transitions.
* Developed port of fat-client configuration to Java-based
Developer 1998 – 2003
* Developed and maintained web-based job scheduling component
Microsoft Task Scheduler engine; later using the
Quartz Enterprise Job Scheduler.
* Developed a Web Services framework to provide customers with
a diagnostics toolkit.
* Investigated JMS as a possible enhancement to existing
* Designed and developed web-based UI job scheduling prototype
using JSPs and
* Investigated Java-based solutions to replace Microsoft Task
Scheduler as the job
scheduling engine. Solutions included commercial
products, roll-your-own approaches,
* Designed, developed & maintained Registry utility written
in Visual C++ using MFC.
* Designed and developed authentication DLL prototype using
Microsoft LDAP libraries.
* Developed and maintained APIs for non-Java clients to
interface with Java-based
* Generated User’s Guide documentation detailing API
installation, configuration and
* Designed and developed dialog-based testing tool for API
Framework utilizing MFC.
* Trained new hire on Java-based services APIs for future
development and maintenance.
|1992 - 1997
||Client Server Software, Incorporated
Microsoft C, Lattice C, DOS
* Maintained the line of PC-based Hospital Cost Reporting
software products written in C.
* Modified software using government specs and client requests
within strict timeframes.
* Developed new software products and utilities in C.
* Provided full and timely technical support for the Cost
Reporting software product line.
* Ported existing C source code to/from various compilers.
* Performed self-tests on new and modified products before
submitting to quality assurance.
|EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
RubyLearning.org - Core Ruby Programming, June 2012.
Computer Learning Center, Somerville, MA – Certificate, C/UNIX
St. Joseph's University, Phila., PA – 2 semesters in Computer
Sciences Masters Program, 1990.
West Chester University, West Chester, PA – BA, Psychology,
Attended “No Fluff Just Stuff” symposiums covering the latest
technologies, including Spring, Hibernate, Groovy, Grails, Ruby
and Rails, 2006, 2007, 2009.
IBM, Waltham, MA – Developing Network Computing Solutions using
Java Technologies, 1999.
Wave Technologies, Burlington, MA – C++ for C Programmers,
Northeastern University, Burlington, MA – Introduction to Java
Northeastern University, Burlington, MA – Windows Programming
using Windows 95, 1997.
Member of the New England Java User's Group (NEJUG)
Member of the Society of American Magicians.